Senate President Godswill Akpabio has denied allegations made by Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan (PDP, Kogi Central) that he conspired to assassinate her, describing the claims as “malicious, false, and inflammatory.”
In a statement issued on Friday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Eseme Eyiboh, Akpabio also threatened legal action against both Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan and former Senator Elisha Abbo.
Formal letters of demand are reportedly being finalized to seek public retractions, formal apologies, and compensation for what was described as reputational damage.
Eyiboh stated, “As a statesman devoted to national unity and democratic values, I will not be distracted by malicious falsehoods or inflammatory rhetoric.”
He added that the accusations made by Akpoti-Uduaghan are “not only false but a dangerous and provocative fabrication.”
Eyiboh also pointed out that Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan had previously made an unsubstantiated accusation of sexual harassment against Akpabio, which she “later abandoned without clarification,” noting that this revealed a “troubling exploitation of victimhood narratives for personal and political gain.”
“It is a recurring pattern of weaponizing falsehoods and exploiting victimhood for political advantage,” Eyiboh said.
The statement, titled “Re: False and Malicious Allegations Targeting the President of the Senate,” also addressed fresh remarks made by former Senator Elisha Abbo, who claimed during an April 2 interview on Arise TV that Akpabio manipulated the judiciary to remove him from office.
Eyiboh responded, stating, “Abbo had previously retracted those claims in 2023, issuing a public apology after admitting they were based on false assumptions.”
He emphasized that Abbo’s removal was “the result of a constitutionally grounded judgment by the Court of Appeal, not political interference.”
Concerning Abbo’s new claims about Senate entitlements, Eyiboh clarified that “Senate entitlements are processed administratively and not at the discretion of the Senate President.”
“These new claims regarding being denied entitlements are also categorically false,” he added.
Regarding the timing of these attacks, Eyiboh suggested a political motive, saying, “The timing and similarity of these attacks suggest a politically motivated effort to discredit the Senate’s leadership.”
He further remarked, “These individuals, possibly backed by hidden interests, appear united in a desperate attempt to undermine the Senate and its leadership.”
While legal action is underway, Eyiboh emphasized Akpabio’s continued focus on his legislative duties.
“Regardless of the necessity for legal redress, formal letters of demand seeking retractions, apologies, and compensation are underway,” he said.